It's a public holiday here in Ireland today, and I'm sending this week's mail from (the Republic of) Cork in the South of Ireland.
This week, I'm looking at how we filter out noise to get real focus, and I have a lovely musical recommendation as well as all the usual stuff.
I haven't asked for a while, so it would be great if you could forward Stuff on to one friend and get them to sign up - it'll keep our little community growing.
Thank you all for being here on our joint journey of curiosity.
Till next Monday, enjoy...
👓 The Big Stuff - how big is yours?
I'm not boasting, but I'm not ashamed. I love reading, and I love books and I buy many of them on impulse. (One-Click shopping is useful and dangerous!)
This week, I was deciding which books to read on vacation and I stumbled across this article from Oliver Burkeman, which suggests that reframing your 'to read' pile to make it seem like a place to look for something new, not a 'list' to be completed.
Treat your Tsundoku like a river not a bucket.
Burkeman then goes on to explain that many of the 'lists' we deal with feel overwhelming because we don't filter what goes into them.
In a world of effectively infinite information, the better you get at sifting the wheat from the chaff, the more you end up crushed beneath a never-ending avalanche of wheat.
This is especially true of our old favourite, the to-do list - just look at all those apps! With multiple (endless) inputs, we can end up crushed under the avalanche of wheat - even if we filter well.
Oh - and for my holiday, I'm taking only fiction. The rest can wait.
🧠 The Other Stuff
- Procrastination: What to do about that thing you've been putting off. Some great advice in here.
- Accountability: Maybe what we really need is some Atomic Accountability.
- Digital Detox: A useful reminder of ways to eliminate your inbox addiction. Two of these #1 and #4 have been game changers for me.
- Stress: Five practical ways to reduce your stress levels. Bookmark this for when you need it.
🌞 The Little Stuff
- Bags: How the tote bag became a humble brag.
- Insta-hits: Self Care tips | Printmakers | Miami Colour | Pure Joy
- Mesmerising: How pencils are made in this little Japanese factory.
- Recommended: The Full Monty (Disney+) - not the film, super uplifting.
- Finally: Forget daily games, Big Ben is a different game EVERY SECOND.
🎧 Aural Stuff
On the Stuff Speakers this week...
🎧 My audio treat this week is from Belbury Poly, a studio band, formed by Ghost Box records owner Jim Jupp.
The Path is something of a concept album, and difficult to describe, somewhere between electronica and prog rock and even jazz - with snippets of spoken word. As with all the Belbury Poly stuff, there is something that makes it feel very British - even with some more jazzy influences this time as the project expands to be a full band.
It's the second album in two weeks featuring a slightly disembodied voice (Headache), although this one is less AI influences - and it tells a story of 'The Path' which I won't spoil in any way but calls to mind landscapes.
👂🏼 Stuff Someone Said
If 'no' is not an option.... then neither is 'yes'.