Hey from Dublin,
I recently wrote an email to an old friend I lost contact with about 10/11 years ago; inspired (indirectly) by one of the prompts on my journaling challenge.
Over the last couple of weeks, we've been reconnecting and I've taken a lot of joy finding out the news from the intervening years. I hope they have as well.
I'm grateful for the opportunity a single email has given me. If you've lost contact with someone, why not give reconnecting a try, I guarantee you will benefit from it.
This week I'm sharing the latest edition of the Stuff Mixtape with you - a selection of tracks that have been in my orbit for the last month, they make a great accompaniment to the newsletter.
Lots of love for the Fat Bear feature last week, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the winning candidate, Bear 747 - who weighed in at a whopping 1400 pounds!
If you're enjoying Stuff, I'd ♥️ if you would hit 'forward' and share this with a friend, if not hit 'reply' and tell me how I can make Stuff better for you.
As always - thanks for being here - it's great to have you join me each week! If you received this from an amazing friend, get your own copy here.
The Stuff Ten
Links to make us smarter and more super...
- Monday Motivation: Let this week be the one where you up your break game. Breaks are a sign of strength, not sloth. We all know the benefits of taking a rest while you work, but here are some practical ways to make your breaktime better. I've even taken to using technology to build in a buffer between meetings. If you are really struggling, then here are 30 great things you can do at work to change the mood.
- Your new superpower: Build some generosity into your daily practice, I'm going to try one of these 50 ways to be generous each day this week and see how they feel. I particularly like #2 and I'm going to find one of these near me.
- It's that time of year: Performance reviews are on the horizon for many people, it's a fact that annual reviews don't actually assess your performance. There are alternatives, here are six great alternatives that support employee growth.
- Take care: How to measure Career Success. This is important stuff.
- TWIL: There is another world to discover under a microscope. The 2022 photomicrography competition has the best of it.
- Be Kind: I love the work that this Denver man is doing to improve the lives of people around him. What small acts of kindness can you do this week?
- It looks like you are designing a slide... Remember Clippy? Now Microsoft are building DALL-E AI-generated art into an app. Microsoft Designer will change Powerpoint slides forever. It might also change the lives of fiverr designers. Also - avoid powerpoint if you can.
- I know we should be on public transport, but this clever tool will you help you find a space to park in any city. Behold the Parkulator!
- Dance like everyone is watching: Larry & Connie Beers are the finest that the internet has to offer. Joy in every single post.
- Finally: Relive 90's computing by pimping your cursor!
🎧 Aural Stuff
What's on the Stuff speakers this week?
I've been listening to the Stuff Mixtape and building a selection of amazing tracks that have been in my aural orbit.
As always, it's a wild bunch, kicking off with a stunning duet from Marcus Mumford and Brandi Carlile, followed by some old and new soul before an almighty psychedelic track featuring Julie Driscoll, and a Nigerian funk classic from William Onyeabor.
There is some cool chill music from Cork and some excellent London indie, as well as some superb reggae and a selection of club bangers to lift your spirits.
I hope you enjoy the mixtape as much as I enjoyed making it.