Welcome to a new week, I hope that Stuff finds you safe and well.
I want to say 🙏🏼 to everyone that signed up to the Stuff30 Journaling Challenge last week, we have a decent cohort of people working through the free course, and feedback has been positive so far.
If you're enjoying Stuff, I'd ♥️ if you would hit 'forward' and share this with a friend, if not hit 'reply' and tell me how I can make Stuff better for you.
As always - thanks for being here - it's great to have you join me each week! If you received this from an amazing friend, get your own copy here.
The Stuff Ten
Links to make us smarter and more super...
- Monday Motivation: Let this week be the one when you develop your purpose a little bit more. This (free) LinkedIn Learning course is a 53-minute investment into finding and developing your purpose. If you want to go further, you could look to the Japanese concept of Ikigai, a sweet spot that can define your purpose in detail. If you're a learner who likes to read further, then there is a book that goes deeper.
- Your new superpower: Finding a mentor can supercharge your career. However, being a mentor can change people's lives AND is a power-up for your own career. Here are 10 ways to be an amazing mentor, as well as practical ways to get the most out of the mentor-protege relationship.
- Essential Reading: The next time you feel jealous of someone or something, it might be time to cultivate a feeling of empathic joy or compersion. Science tells us that compersion is good for us by strengthening our feelings for each other.
- Take care: I use rituals to drive work-life balance, bookmarking the start and finish of my day and creating boundaries. It turns out that rituals can also reduce anxiety. A fascinating read on the benefits of small rituals.
- TWIL: The word 'ketchup' comes from an unexpected place. This brilliant story from Derek Sivers explains.
- Get uninterruptible: Cold Turkey is an excellent free set of apps that will block distractions and challenge you to become more focused. I really like the writing app that shuts EVERYTHING off until you hit a word target.
- I wanted to be an astronaut: What did you want to be when you were growing up? Vole.wtf asked 800 people their childhood ambitions and then figured out what they ended up as.
- Left or Right? SwipeWipe is an excellent tool to clean up the photos on your phone and save a TON of memory. (IOS only right now)
- Reveal the Deedle, Do the Deedle: Not really a daily -dle puzzle, but a quest to do something amazing each day, and mark the Deedle as Done.
- Finally: Much harder than it looks. Checkbox Racer.
🎧 Aural Stuff
What's on the Stuff speakers this week?
My musical treat for you this week is the terrific new soundtrack album from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, composed for Dahmer Monster, the Netflix series about Jeffrey Dahmer.
As with all the Cave and Ellis soundtracks, this is a gentle and contemplative wander, full of strings and electronics. In line with the subject matter, it is quite eerie and mysterious in places, but I really enjoy these soundtracks as the backing track for work sessions, mainly because there are very few vocals to distract me.
Stuff someone said
"If you stop your mental muddle, life is bliss" - Sadhguru
♥️ Enjoying Stuff?
- Forward this email to a friend, and let them know they can sign up and get their own here.
- Anything Else? Hit reply and let me know.